04 November 2013

Exploring West Africa: Accra, Ghana (Part 1)

Exploring West Africa with Silversea’s Silver Explorer, starting in Accra, Ghana on 10 April 2013 and ending in Dakkar, Senegal on 26 April 2013.

April 9 – 11th, 2013


Population of Ghana (2010): 24.2 million
Population of Accra, the capital city (2012): 2,300,000
Currency: 2 GHS (Ghana Cedis)  = US$1
Demonym (people from Ghana are called): Ghanaian 
GDP per capita (2013) = US$ 1,670 (in Kuwait it’s US$ 45,824)
HDI (2013): 0.558, i.e. 135th 

Accra is like this massive party happening all on its own regardless of what’s going on around the world. Just bring yourself and you’ll be a part of it. Hot and sticky, colorful and loud, you will not get a chance to be alone, not even in your head. Reminds me a little bit of India, although not as humble. Accrans are friendly, warm, and welcoming, but what I really like about them is that they’re bold, upfront, and inquisitive. In a bustling marketplace, as my husband and I walked in a single file behind the tour guide, a woman from the crowd got my attention. Putting on an authoritative face she yelled, “Hey! Heeey! Where’s yo’ yello-feeeva?!” I kept on walking with the river of bodies that carried us deeper and deeper into bargaining and trade, but reluctantly turned my head to see the demanding woman’s face. I spotted her way back, she smiled with a wink. I smiled back, acknowledging that she was just poking fun at us tourists. 


This market had stalls specializing in everything imaginable. There was a vendor for belts, another one sold jeans. One for electric fans, another for remote controls. There was one for laundry baskets and hangers, and another for tape. Yes tape! Different shapes and sizes! I bought a few meters of Kente cloth. I was supposed to bargain, but I hate playing that game, and I thought the price was reasonable, so I bought it without arguments. Turned out the exchange rate I calculated in my head was off by an entire decimal, and I ended up paying for it way more than I thought. Lesson learned. Always bargain. And using a currency calculator App won’t hurt either.

The roll of Kente cloth I purchased. What do I do with it?

Woman selling tape
Woman selling jeans



We visited what they call a compound, which is basically a community that lives together sharing water sources, electricity and such. This tour, as well as the earlier tour we took in the city were arranged by Easy Track Ghana. Their office is based in the compounds of Kisseman. Jessie, our tour guide, took us to their office where we met with Steve. They explained the activities of the community and took us around to see how people live. It was an unforgettable experience.  
The office of Easy Track Ghana
Jessie and his son


The butcher
Car repair shop


The hair saloon

Woman frying fish

Vegetable market

If you’re thinking of going to Ghana, Easy Track provides a good list of items that are much appreciated as charitable donations.




Jessie invited us to his home, where we met with his wife and son.

At the entrance to Jessie's home
Jessie's wife prepared us lunch.
We ate while watching Ghanaian TV drama ;-)
























Adding flavour to the dish!
I smell something cooking...



























We also saw the gym..










I left Accra all pumped up about the rest of our West Africa trip. People in this part of the world know how to have a good time and I was ecstatic about spending the rest of my vacation days getting to know the history and culture.

Back in the city



And so we se sail aboard Silver Explorer on the evening of April 11th 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment